Friday, February 25, 2011

homecoming is drawing near!

I get to go home for a visit in about a week! I am so thrilled! The city is fun and i love how fast paced it is but I am southern at heart and I need this Alabama visit so I can slow down a bit.
I MISS THE SOUTH.

these are the top ten things I miss about the south (dont worry this whole post is not going to sound like a country song. I promise not to mention trucks or sweet tea ... although mmmm sweet tea!)

10. I MISS MY FAMILY! when i moved to new york all i could think about was the adventure of moving. It honestly didnt cross my mind how far I was moving from my support team. I cannot wait to gab with Gigi, laugh at Dave's corny jokes, and see my bro pitch at Spring Hill. I am also excited to see my grandmothers and my aunt!

9. to go right along with 10 i miss my roommates from college. And even though now ALL of us are spreading out, most of them are still close neough to plan an exciting weekend visit. ( yea this weekend and I am super jealous). I am more used to my bfa class being split up around the country but i miss some of those crazy folks too! ( thankfully I spent the summer with kat, kara visited several times, saw emily stephens during the fall, liz lives up here and payne visits on the reg ( and when I move to richmond in a few weeks for stuart little i will be working for the same company as payne!).

8. I miss my buds from bham as well. and Even though I LOVE going to Redeemer in NYC i still miss the familiarity at bwood. I miss the girls staff the 9th grade girls, and my college freshman girls.

7. I miss ChikfilA. yep its on the list. I havent had it since Dec. I am craving it almost everyday.

6. I miss sunshine. yea. the sun doesnt like to come out and play a whole lot in nyc. this includes warm weather. It is going to be 42 degree in NYC tomo ( which is WARM ) and it is going to be in the 70's in AU. WHAT THE WHAT! no fair.

5. i miss walmart. yea! fight me on that if you will but it is cheap and convienant and you can get everything in one place! and i dont care that it is the "devil" and so corporate america blah blah . ITS AWESOME!

4. i was surprised I feel this way but I miss my car? I still dont love to drive but I do love the idea of being able to hop in my car run out grab whatever and hop back in my car and park in my driveway.

3. i miss how inexpensive the south is in comparrison. EVERYTHING costs an arm and a leg here!

2. i miss the south because events that I care about going to are in the south. Barb is having her baby, jess and keri anne are engaged and doing fun things. I miss knowing I could go to things for people I care about!

1. politeness. I know sometimes its fake or forced but in the south we learn from a young age to wave and smile and speak to people kindly. We learn that if someone is struggling with dropping their groceries you stop and help and give a smile. not so much here.

Even thought I am clearly a tad homesick today, it does not mean I dont love new york. I love the park and working at Redeemer and brunch with the girls, and celeb sightings ( Sarah Jessica Parker, MAtthew Brodderick, Ed Westwick, Marcia Gay Harden, AL PACINO! ( dont worry AL is gonna get his own blog soon.) just to name a few) I love the theatre community here and when the sun is out I love walking from my house to kristi and Liz's apartment! There are plenty of things to love here but the south is just so special and it took me being away from it to realize how much i miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment