Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The King's Speech


The second moving piece of art I have seen this week was The Kings Speech.

Holy Moly this was so moving. Collin Firth plays King Henry VI who had a TERRIBLE speech impediment. Jeffery Rush is a speech therapist and gives the King technique and confidence to overcome all of the technical and emotional problems that contributed to his stammer. As an actor I understand how important a voice is and also how much it can affect you to be mocked for your voice, to be ashamed of your voice, and how vulnerable it can make you feel to need help overcoming obstacles. I went to speech therapy in college for over a year for vocal issues. I did many of the same exercises in speech therapy and in my BFA classes that Jeffery Rush took Collin Firth through in the movie. I cried off and on through this entire movie. ( If you want to know more about the personal and physical history in your life that makes up why you speak the way you do read the book The Right to Speak by Patsy Rodenberg. it will change the way you view your own voice.) It broke my heart throughout the whole movie to watch Collin Firth struggle to communicate. This movie to quote my dad " is a movie about the triumph of the human spirit

The part that moved me the most :

Linonel " Why should I Listen to YOu? "

King George without thinking screams back at him " BECAUSE I HAVE A VOICE!!!!

Lionel "I know you do, I believe you."

No comments:

Post a Comment